Dropbox installed and immediately started to backup my Desktop folder (I had no intention to backup anything). Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site.
How to download and install the Dropbox desktop app
With Dropbox Basic, it’s easy to get to your files from multiple devices – computers, phones and tablets – for free: Windows and Mac: Install our desktop app, and everything in your account will appear in the Dropbox folder on your computer. Web: Sign in to dropbox.com to access everything you’ve stored on Dropbox from any browser – no software installation required. Adding a Dropbox folder to Quick Access in Windows 10 is another way to access Dropbox easily inside your Windows File Explorer. To add Dropbox folder to File explorer’s Quick Access in Windows 10, navigate to the location where your Dropbox folder is.
Download Dropbox to get started. Download Dropbox. How to Disable Dropbox Notifications Windows 10 Click on the “Notifications” (or “Action center”) button in the FAR bottom right corner of the screen – just to the right of the clock. You will see the “Action Center” pop out from the right hand side of the screen. Now Right-Click on the Dropbox Notification (s).
Once installed, you’ll be prompted to either sign in or create a new account.
How to install the desktop app with admin privileges
The Dropbox desktop app requires admin privileges to run with full functionality on your computer. This enables multiple different core features of Dropbox, including:
- Sync icons that show the sync status of files and folders
- Right-click context menus for taking quick actions in Dropbox
- Access to Smart Sync
For the vast majority of users, the desktop app is automatically installed with admin privileges. However, if you didn't install with admin privileges you can follow the instructions below to do so.
Note: If you don't have admin rights on your computer (for example if you're using a work computer), you may need to ask your IT department for help.
Install the Dropbox desktop app with admin privileges
- If you already have Dropbox installed, uninstall the application.
- Open the installer.
- Do not right-click, and do not command-click Run as an Administrator
- Follow the instructions in the install wizard.
- If you’re asked for an administrative username and password, enter them or contact your administrator to sign in.
- If you’re not asked for an administrative username and password, you’re already an admin on your computer.
- Complete the installation and sign in to Dropbox.
Smart Sync and admin privileges
Some Dropbox users will have access to Smart Sync. If you have access to this feature, check that Dropbox is installed with admin privileges on each computer where the feature will be used.
Depending on the policies at your organization, your team members may be able to install Dropbox with admin privileges on their own. If not, they may need the assistance of your IT team.
Why does the Dropbox desktop app for Mac require Keychain access?
Keychain is a password management system for Mac. Dropbox requires access to your Keychain to help verify your account and to provide another layer of security over the Dropbox app preferences.
- To grant Keychain access to Dropbox, click Allow or Always Allow (recommended for seamless access) when prompted to do so from Mac.
- Clicking Deny will result in a 'Couldn't start Dropbox' error message. For security reasons, Dropbox will not start without access to your Keychain.
What is the Dropbox Web Helper for macOS?
Dropbox Web Helper supports the Dropbox user interface on Mac computers. It only runs when the desktop app is running. Dropbox Web Helper is an independent process, so it may start and stop at different times than the desktop app. If you adjust your firewall or antivirus software for Dropbox, we recommend similar adjustments for Dropbox Web Helper.
Dropbox is a file hosting service operated by American company Dropbox, Inc, which offers cloud storage, file synchronization, personal cloud, and so on.
When you download Dropbox from internet, it will create a special folder on your computer and the saved files (eg:photos, videos, music and office documents) in this folder will be synced to dropbox.com and other devices, such as, phone, tablets, notebook. The premise is to sign in Dropbox with the same account on all your devices.
However, sometimes, the Dropbox does not sync files. How do I fix this issue and sync files again? Please keep reading below to learn more.
Need help: Dropbox not syncing in Windows 10
“I was hoping the files saved on my Windows 10 would be synced successfully, so that I check it from dropbox.com.
From my laptop, it shows that some of the files I recently saved (which has green check marks) are synced, but I couldn't see them updated in my dropbox.com.
I tried restarting Dropbox or my Windows, but somehow it doesn't work. Can anyone help me to work this out?”
From the user case, you may know that the Dropbox is not syncing in Windows 10 sometimes, but why? The reasons may be file in use, identical names, file with incompatible characters, anti-virus software, misconfigurations and bugs in settings, firewall issues, Proxy settings,etc. Thus, you could fix it by the specific reason, below are some working methods for you.
How to fix Dropbox not syncing in Windows 10?
From above, you may already get the reasons for Dropbox not syncing. Now, continue to see below and I’ll show you the corresponding solutions. Also, you can choose to directly sync files with an easier way in the next part.
Method 1. Check the files
For Dropbox not working in Windows 10, 8, 7, check the files is easiest way. In this method, you need to ensure the following situations.
1. Make sure the files you need sync is not open.
2. Check the filename of the file and make sure it doesn't contain any special characters. If there are any files with the following characters, you need to remove these characters and then sync files to Dropbox again.
” (double quote)
(vertical bar or pipe)
? (question mark)
. (period) or a space at the end of file or folder name
3. Change files with identical name. If you have two files with the same name, your files will not be synced. Just rename your files at first.
4. Keep your files with only one version. If you have different versions of files, the Dropbox app will not work as usual. Just keep the latest version of files.
5. Check the shared folder. For Dropbox not updating shared folder, you need to check if you are still a member of this shared folder, the shared files have been dragged out, or the shared files have been changed by other member.
Method 2. Check for software causing problem
Anti-virus software or firewall is aimed to ensure the security of your computer by preventing malware from running. But sometimes it may mistake some software as dangerous, such as, Dropbox. Then, this software will stop working. In this case, just disable it temporarily.
1. Check the anti-virus software. If there are any anti-virus software, such as, Windows Defender, Norton, AVG, 360, you need to disable these software temporarily.
2. Shutdown your firewall. If you cannot sync files to Dropbox with firewall on, you can turn off it for a short period or grant access to firewall.
Method 3. Check the Dropbox process
The Dropbox process is not responding or has frozen up, your Dropbox app will stop working. For this situation, you just need to check the process of Dropbox, then end the task or restart app.
1. Right click the Taskbar and select Task Manager.
2. Under the Process tab, look for the Dropbox process on the list, then end this task or restart the app.
If Dropbox is present, right-click it and select End task.
If Dropbox is not present or you have ended the task, restart it using the desktop icon or menu item.
Method 4. Delete Dropbox Caches
The full Dropbox caches might cause Dropbox not syncing on Windows 10, you can try to clear the caches by following steps below:
1. Open the File Explorer.
2. Go to your Dropbox folder and .dropbox.cache. You can also access the folder by entering %HOMEPATH%Dropbox.dropbox.cache in search box.
3. Press Ctrl+A to select all and press Delete to remove everything from the folder.
Method 5. Disable selective sync
Dropbox selective sync is a new feature to sync only the selected files, leaving the rest of files offline on the computer. So, if some of your files update in dropbox.com but not all files, you can try to solve Dropbox not syncing via disabling the selective sync feature.
1. Right click the Dropbox icon in the Windows taskbar.
2. Select Preferences and then click Advanced.
3. Click Selective Sync and deselect all files and folders.
Windows 10 Dropbox Settings
Tom harwood twitter. Note: Except for diable selective sync, you still can select the files or folders you want to sync through this feature, then it will start to sync the selected data.
Method 6. Reset Dropbox Settings using CMD
If you are bothered by misconfigurations and bugs in settings, you can use command prompt to fix Dropbox issue.
1. Click on the Dropbox icon, then select Settings and Exit.
2. Type cmd in the search box, right-click it and Run as administrator.
3. Copy and paste the following commands in the command prompt window and press Enter after each one.
icacls “%HOMEPATH%Dropbox” /grant “%USERNAME%”:(F) /T
icacls '%APPDATA%Dropbox' /grant '%USERNAME%':(F) /T
icacls '%LOCALAPPDATA%Dropbox' /grant '%USERNAME%':F /T
icacls '%PROGRAMFILES%Dropbox' /grant '%USERNAME%':F /T
4. Restart Dropbox and see if you can sync files as normal.
Dropbox not syncing in Windows 10- how to sync files?
To be honest, Dropbox is not stable enough and may occasionally throw out error messages to you, such as, Dropbox not syncing, Dropbox is not connecting, Dropbox icon is missing Windows 10. So, if you want to fix these issues once for all, you can turn to AOMEI Backupper Standard.
It is one of the best free file sync software for Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista, which can help you sync files without any obstacle. And it supports many storage devices, including Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, external hard drive, USB drive, SSD, etc.
Besides the basic requirement, this software also offers you some useful features:
Daily, weekly, monthly sync: If you want to update your files and folders at a fixed interval, you can use schedule sync settings, such as, daily.
Email Notification: This feature is for users who don’t want to wait until the process end, for example, you have an emergency. After the synchronization, this feature will tell you the final result and all error messages.
Wake the computer to run scheduled task: This feature is very useful when you want to schedule sync files during the off-peak hours. It will wake your computer 2 minutes before the schedule task starts.
Then, follow the steps below and sync Windows 10 to Dropbox in simple steps.
1. Download AOMEI Backupper and open it. Click Sync and choose Basic Sync.
2. Click Add Folder and Browse to select the files and folders you need to sync. Then click where the arrow point and select another location as destination path.
3. Click Options, Schedule to set auto sync and then click Start Sync.
Windows 10 Dropbox Problems
Note: In the following, I’ll introduce you some advanced features in AOMEI Backupper you may need. However, they are not available on the free version. So, if needed, please upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional or other versions.
System Shutdown: This feature belongs to Event triggers and it does not take up computer memory when working. If you use this feature, this software will sync files during shutdown and not slow down your computer.
USB Plug in: If your target drive is USB, you could consider syncing files to flash drive with USB Plus in feature. This software will automatically sync files at the next time when you plug in your USB drive. The premise is to create an automatic sync with this feature.
Real-time Sync: If you need to change files very frequently, syncing files in real-time is suitable for you. Only in this way, you can keep all your files up-to-date.
Drop it in the box
Reading here, you may already know how to fix “Dropbox not syncing” in Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, etc. Here are various ways you can use. Among them, using an alternative file sync software is the method that can be done once and for all.
Windows 10 Dropbox App
Because it can not only help you get rid of Dropbox not syncing in Windows 10 easily and quickly, but also offers you more useful features, such as, fast synchronization, event triggers, real-time sync, etc. Any of them can bring you convenience while syncing files, for example, save disk space, keep files up-to-date, and so on.
If you don’t have a copy of critical files, you can download this software and use it to sync your files as you like. Besides, this software is also backup and restore software. You can use it to make a system image backup If you want to protect your computer from virus infection, system crash, hard disk failure.