Before the symbol (⌘) was introduced, the command icon was the Apple logo. Steve Jobs decided that the Apple logo was overused as it was everywhere. Thus the new symbol was assigned to the command key. The pretzel-shaped design is a symbol. Apple keyboard symbol meaning.
How to create a bootable media, see here.
For a more detailed version of the instructions, click here.
To recover your system:
Acronis True Image 2021 is a comprehensive backup and security solution with no equal. If you want everything tied up in a neat package, this is it. But if your needs are minor, this is overkill. Acronis True Image Home 2020 is an award-winning backup and recovery solution for a good reason: it protects your PC after just one click and allows you to recover from viruses, unstable software downloads, and failed hard drives.
- Attach the external drive if it contains the backup to be used for recovery and make sure that the drive is powered on.
- Arrange the boot order in BIOS so as to make your rescue media device (CD, DVD or USB stick, or external USB HDD in case you use Acronis Survival Kit) the first boot device. See Arranging boot order in BIOS or UEFI BIOS.
If you use an UEFI computer, please pay attention to the boot mode of the bootable media in UEFI BIOS. It is recommended that the boot mode matches the type of the system in the backup. If the backup contains a BIOS system, then boot the bootable media in BIOS mode; if the system is UEFI, then ensure that UEFI mode is set.
- Boot from the rescue media. Wait while the bootable environment is loading:
- Acronis True Image 2020 window appears:
- On the Home screen, select My disks below Recover.
- Select the system disk or partition backup to be used for recovery.
If the backup is not displayed, click Browse and specify path to the backup manually.
- Select Recover whole disks and partitions at the Recovery method step:
- On Recovery Point screen, select the date and time to recover your system to (time selection is available if there are multiple recovery points in the same day):
- On What to recover screen locate the system disk and mark the checkbox next to it. To avoid unnecessary configuration steps further in the wizard, click on the checkbox next to the disk title, e.g. 'Disk 1', and not on the checkboxes next to partitions (EFI System Partition, C:, Recovery partition, etc):
- Review the 'Destination of Disk 1' and click Next if it is correct. Otherwise, change the settings as required before clicking Next. Changing the settings will be needed when recovering to the new hard disk of a different capacity.
- Carefully read the summary of operations at the Summary step. Having checked the summary click Proceed to start recovery.
- When the operation finishes, exit the standalone version of Acronis True Image 2020, remove the rescue media and boot from the recovered system partition. After making sure that you have recovered Windows to the state you need, restore the original boot order.
Content of this article:
User case: Acronis computer restart is required
WD SSD does not come along with disk cloning software, so many users turn to Acronis True Image WD edition to repalce hard drive. It's designed for western digital drive. But sometimes users may encounter the issue: Acronis True Image will not clone, below are real user case from forum.
“I got a new SSD from Western digital and then downloaded the cloning software from their website, but this software always tell me ”Acronis computer restart is required” Whenever I try to clone hard drive with it. But Acronis True Image not cloning after restart. Why Acronis WD clone failed? Is it possible to fix it? If not, is there any alternative WD disk cloning software?”
Don't worry about too much and I'll show you how to fix it in this article. Keep reading below to learn the situations and solutions to Acronis True Image WD edition clone not working.
3 Situations to Acronis True Image WD edition will not clone
1. Acronis True Image not cloning after restart. When you clone disk using Acronis True Image within Windows, you will be asked to restart computer. However, your computer may not reboot to recovery enviroment.
Explain: In this case, you probably enable the secure boot in BIOS, but it does not allow this boot path as part of the cloning process. Secure boot is a security measure built into a system's BIOS to prevent untrustworthy firmware from running. To clone disk, you should turn off secure boot at first.
2. Acronis not recognizing WD HD/SSD. Acronis True Image WD edition does not support exFAT file system, so Acronis won’t recognize it and you cannot use hard drive formatted as ExFAT as target drive. And most of the modern digital drive is formatted with exFAT. So, you need to format exFAT to FAT32 or NTFS or turn to a professsional disk cloning software like AOMEI Backupper Professional.
Explain: The most possible cause is that the drive does not have a valid MBR or a third party software is blocking the access to hard disk drives.
3. Acronis True Image WD edition installation restricted - this product edition requires at least one Western Digital drive to be installed in your system. This situation is very similar to the second one, but this problem is related to USB cable connected to WD disk.
4 Solutions to Acronis True Image WD edition clone not working
To fix Acronis True Image clone failed, here are four solutions. They are all based on the above scenarios, you can click the anchor text below and jump to the specific solution directly.
Solution 1: Disable secure boot
Secure boot will be one of the reasons why Acronis clone failed. To fix this issue, you need to disable Secure Boot in BIOS. Of course, you can enable Secure Boot again after cloning disk with Acronis True Image.
Step 1. Restart your computer, and then press the specified key (eg: F1, F2, ESC, etc) on the initial screen to enter BIOS.
Step 2. Find the Secure Boot option and select Disable. Usually, this option is either under the Security tab, the Boot tab, or the Authentication tab.
Solution 2: Clean WD hard drive
Sometimes, you can see your disk showing normally in Disk Management. But, it cannot be detected by a third-party tool like Acronis. This situation may be caused by an invalid MBR. Also, the software you use may not support the file system of disk. To fix the problem, you can clean the disk and initialize it, then use Acronis True Image to clone HDD to SSD again.
Tip This operation will erase the disk entirely, so you need to backup files in advance if there are something important.
Step 1. Type cmd in the search box, then run as administrator.
Step 2. Type diskpart.
Step 3. Type list disk.
Step 4. Type select disk n (n is the number of your disk).
Step 5. Type clean.
Step 6. Press Win + R to summon the Run window, then type diskmgmt.msc.
Step 7. Right-click the disk marked as Unknown, then select Initialize Disk.
Solution 3: Try Acronis bootable media
As mentioned above, WD hard drive may not reboot in the recovery environment, so you can choose to clone hard drive with Acronis bootable media. It can ensure that all your internal or external hard disk will be detected on the system. Please note the bootable disk tyoe should be WinPE.
Solution 4: Download and run .exe file
Acronis True Image 2020 Restore Backup To New Hard Drive
If you receive this error message, 'Acronis True Image WD edition installation restricted - this product edition requires at least one Western Digital drive to be installed in your system', you could contact WD support, download the special .exe file and run it three or four times, then install the Acronis and use it clone to smaller ssd.
Ultimate solution to clone WD SSD when Acronis True Image WD Edition not clone
After trying above solutions, if the Acronis WD clone still failed, you could consider using a professional disk cloning software as repalcement. Here I strongly recommend you AOMEI Backupper Professional, which works well in disk clone, regardless of partition style, partition size or file system.
In a simple word, you can use it to clone MBR disk to GPT disk, clone disk to larger disk, clone larger HDD to smaller SSD, etc. Also, you can clone hard drive with different file system, like NTFS, FAT32, and exFAT. More so, its 'SSD Alignment' can greatly improve the performance of SSD disk, making your computer run like a new one. And it supports Windows 7/8/8.1/10/XP/Vista. In addition, it's simple and easy to use, so even novices can operate this software as a professional.
Why not give a try right now? Please download the free trial version to clone WD SSD drive (The Clone feature in the free trial version can only be demonstrated, it's suggested to upgrade to full version of AOMEI Backupper to make this process smoothly). Detailed steps are below.
Note: If the destination disk is smaller, please clean the disk to get enough space to store everything on the source disk, otherwise the cloning process will fail. You can try to uninstall programs no longer in use or delete useless files. Also, you can directly clone only OS partition instead of entire disk.
Acronis True Image Restore
Step 1. In the main page of AOMEI Backupper, click Disk Clone under the Clone tab. To clone only system, click 'System Clone' to start.
How To Use Acronis Backup
Step 2. Select the source disk and click Next.
Step 3. Select the destination disk and click Next. If there are multiple partitions on the destination disk, it's suggested to tick the first partition for secure boot.
Step 4. Check the option 'SSD Alignment' if your target disk is an SSD. It will accelerate the writting and reading speed of SSD disk as well as extend its lifespan. Then, click Start Clone to clone WD SSD.
◒ 'Sector by sector clone': This feature will clone all sectors of a disk whether used or not. Please be sure there are enough space to hold everything on the source disk before you check this option.
◒ 'Edit Partitions': This feature helps to resolve cloned hard drive shows wrong size issue when you clone hard drive to larger drive or clone SSD to larger SSD. There are three options, including 'Copy without resizing partitions', 'Add unused space to all partitions', 'Manually adjust partition size'.
◒ For server users, you could use AOMEI Backupper Server. It supports Windows Server 2003/2008/2012/2016/2019 and all the R2 version.
Boot from the cloned hard drive
Now, thing are half done. You just need to check if the cloned SSD will boot. Only in this way, you can ensure it's available, so you can use it to replace old/damaged hard drive or when the system is crashed.
Step 1. Completely shutdown your computer and replace hard drive with cloned SSD using screwdriver.
Step 2. Install the computer back cover tightly, and connect the power cable.
Step 3. Restart your computer and press specific key shown in the initial screen to access BIOS screen. Usually, the key is F2 or ESC.
Step 4. At last, change the cloned SSD as the first boot option and start Windows from it.
Acronis True Image 2017 Restore Backup To New Hard Drive
How To Restore Acronis Backup
Reading here, you may already solve the cloning problem, “ Acronis True Image WD edition will not clone”. You can turn off the Secure Boot option to solve “Acronis computer restart is required”. Also, you can clear disk and reinitialize it to solve “Acronis True Image not detecting hard drive/SSD”. Besides, you still can try to use Acronis bootable media or contact WD support directly.
Acronis True Image Backup Software
Except for these solutions, using AOMEI Backupper Professional to clone WD SSD can be a great choice to fix Acronis true image cloning problem. It makes everything easy. With the help of it, you can clone hard drive in simple steps and boot your computer successfully. Also, you can clone system partition with 'System Clone' and clone data partition with 'Partition Clone'.